If you have suffered a serious head injury affecting your scalp or skull in Nassau County, you may also have suffered a traumatic brain injury (TBI). For this reason, even moderate head injuries require urgent medical attention. If your head injury occurred due to another person’s negligence, recklessness, or malice, you also require excellent legal representation.
If you live on Long Island, in the five boroughs of New York City, or in Westchester or Rockland County contact Kohan Law Group in Manhasset for a free consultation. Our skilled head injury attorney will determine whether you have a viable personal injury case. If so, our team will fight aggressively to recover the substantial damages you deserve and will charge you no attorneys’ fees until we win your case.
Types of Head Injuries
Head injuries are never good, but their severity and long-term effects depend on several factors:
- Where your head was impacted
- How hard the blow was
- Whether there were multiple blows
- Whether the skull and/or brain were penetrated
- How soon medical attention was received
Medically differentiated categories of head injuries include:
- Concussion — when the brain is shaken within the skull
- Skull fracture — when the skull bone is cracked or broken
- Hematoma — when a blood clot forms in or around the brain
How Someone Else May Be Held Liable for Your Head Injuries in Nassau County
While it is certainly possible to slip in the bathtub and hit your head or have a light fixture fall on your head in your own living room, a great many head injuries are the result of someone else’s actions or negligence.
In any of the following situations, Kohan’s skilled head injury attorneys will investigate to pinpoint the party responsible for the harm that came to you:
- A traffic accident that was caused by a distracted or impaired driver, a faulty auto part, or an improperly maintained roadway
- A violent assault in which we can sue the offender in civil court whether or not that person was arrested, charged or convicted of a crime
- A slip and fall accident on another’s property due to poor maintenance or failure to repair or warn of a hazard
- A sports injury that was the result of poor supervision, defective gear, or an improperly maintained playing field or court
- Medical malpractice if a healthcare professional failed to perform surgery correctly or to protect a nursing home patient from falling and striking her/his head
The Wide Range of Head Injury Symptoms
Because head injuries often involve TBIs and because the brain controls nearly all bodily functions, the spectrum of symptoms resulting from head injuries is incredibly broad, ranging from headaches, nausea, and sensitivity to light to loss of consciousness or coma. The following list of possible head injury symptoms is by no means inclusive:
- Bleeding from the scalp
- Clear fluid draining from the nose or ears
- Irritability, confusion, mood instability
- Lightheadedness/dizziness/balance problems
- Problems with balance, sleep disturbances
- Cognitive problems (e.g. with memory or concentration)
- Visual, hearing problems or speech problems
- Mobility issues, partial or complete paralysis
- Vegetative state or locked-in syndrome
Your prognosis after a head injury may vary widely, depending on your individual circumstances, such as your age, overall health, pre-existing conditions, and the type of head injury you sustained. Through long-term rehabilitation, many patients make enormous strides in recovery, but others may experience altered personality or behavioral changes or require ongoing nursing care.
How Our Nassau County Head Injury Law Team Will Fight for You
We understand that you are going through perhaps the most challenging period of your life and want you to take the time you need to heal. While you alternately rest and work hard to rehabilitate yourself, we will have your back:
- Forcefully negotiating with opposing attorneys and insurance adjusters
- Investigating the site of your accident and any surveillance videos
- Examining police records and medical reports
- Investigating the defendant’s history of any misconduct
- Interviewing witnesses who will substantiate our claims
- Consulting with experts who can help us at trial
We have an impressive record of successful outcomes. Although in many cases we may be able to win you damages without ever entering a courtroom, we are always prepared to fight vigorously at trial.
We Will Assess Your Future Medical and Financial Needs
With techniques polished through extensive study and reinforced by experience, our head injury attorneys are able to make a realistic assessment of your future needs. We will pay close attention to your present progress and to your prognosis, taking into consideration whether you will likely be able to return to work, what type of ongoing medical care you may need, and the nature of your family obligations.
We will also consider whether the court is likely to find you partially responsible for your own accident — if, for example, you were intoxicated when you got hurt. If this is the case, the court will assign you a percentage of responsibility for your injury and that percentage will be deducted from the amount you are awarded so this possibility must be taken into account.
In any event, our job is to see to it that we bring you the maximum compensation possible to cover your:
- Lost wages
- Medical expenses, present and future
- Lost earning power
- Property damage
- Rehabilitative care
- Replacement services
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Permanent disability
- Loss of enjoyment of life
If you have endured the wrongful death of a loved one due to a head injury, we will do everything possible to bring you funds for final medical expenses, funeral and cremation/burial costs, and for the loss of the deceased’s financial and emotional support.
Contact Our Experienced Head Injury Attorneys for Powerful Legal Support
A head injury, whatever its cause, can be life-changing. At Kohan Law Group, our lawyers are experienced legal advocates and compassionate people, fully committed to protecting your rights and helping you navigate the judicial system — now when you are most in need. Contact our office today to schedule a free consultation.
Kohan Law Group represents head injury victims throughout Nassau County as well as in New York City, including Queens and Brooklyn, from their Manhasset office in Northern Hempstead.